The deal has been rumored for weeks. While the exact dollar amount was not confirmed, Semafor reported earlier this month that Microsoft was in talks to invest as much as $10 billion.
The deal follows a $1 billion investment in 2019 from Microsoft into the AI startup. That deal made Microsoft’s Azure the exclusive provider of cloud computing services to OpenAI.
Search less. Close more.
Grow your revenue with all-in-one prospecting solutions powered by the leader in private-company data.
“We formed our partnership with OpenAI around a shared ambition to responsibly advance cutting-edge AI research and democratize AI as a new technology platform,” said Satya Nadella, chairman and CEO of Microsoft. “In this next phase of our partnership, developers and organizations across industries will have access to the best AI infrastructure, models and toolchain with Azure to build and run their applications.”
Big money for AI
OpenAI had been valued at $14 billion during a tender offer in 2021.
- ChatGPT Creator OpenAI Could Be Valued At $29B In Tender Offer — Report
- Writing-Focused Startups Draw Big Bucks
- The Promises And Perils Of A Decade Of AI Funding
- Billions Of Dollars Roll Into AI-Enhanced Cybersecurity
- AI Could Transform Medical Imaging — So Why Don’t We See It More?
- From Wigs To Fish, Some Very Quirky AI Startups Got Funded In 2022
Illustration: Dom Guzman
Stay up to date with recent funding rounds, acquisitions, and more with the Crunchbase Daily.