In July, nine companies joined The Crunchbase Emerging Unicorn Board, a curated list of companies valued above $500 million but less than $1 billion. The board currently hosts 354 companies valued collectively at over $240 billion.
From Israel to India and Finland to South Korea, these emerging unicorn startups hail from around the globe. Sectors range from alternative meats to quantum computing, and logistics to live commerce.
Search less. Close more.
Grow your revenue with all-in-one prospecting solutions powered by the leader in private-company data.
Here are the new emerging unicorns.
- YuLife, a London-based provider of tech-driven group insurance, raised a Series C funding of $120 million valuing the company at $800 million. The funding was led by Tokyo-based life insurance company Dai-ichi Life. Previous lead investors include LocalGlobe, Creandum and Target Global.
- India-based insurance comparison company InsuranceDekho raised $100 million valuing the company at $750 million. Founded in 2016, the firm has launched a “feet on the streets” effort to target consumers who prefer in-person solutions.
- Bengaluru-based neobank Fi.Money raised a $45 million Series C valuing the company at $519 million. The funding was led by New York-based Alpha Wave Global. Previous lead investors include Sequoia Capital India, Ribbit Capital and B Capital Group. The company has since raised an extension to its Series C in August with Temasek joining the round.
- European quantum computing company IQM Quantum Computers, based in Finland, raised a Series A extension of $131 million which valued the company at $900 million. The funding was led by Berlin-based climate tech VC World Fund. The company seeks to solve complex problems around climate change.
- Game design and development studio South Korea Shiftup, raised a secondary funding at a $772 million valuation. The funding was led by IMM Investment and Smilegate Investment.
- Tel Aviv-based AI21 Labs, a natural language processor service using AI, raised a $64 million Series B led by London-based deep-tech investor Ahren Innovation Capital which valued the company at $664 million.
- Meati Foods from Boulder, Colorado, raised a $150 million Series C led by Revolution Growth. Chipotle’s venture fund also participated in the financing. The Fungi-based meat alternatives company was valued at $650 million.
- On-demand logistics company Shadowfax, based in Bangalore, raised a first tranche of its Series E funding of $12 million from existing investors led by Flipkart. The funding valued the company at $600 million.
- Social and live commerce company Flip, based in Los Angeles, raised a $60 million Series B which valued the company at $510 million. The funding was led by e-commerce and payments-focused investor WestCap.
Graduating to unicorns
- Two companies graduated to the unicorn board this past month. India-based mobile fintech company FPL Technologies and San Francisco-based cloud database company SingleStore each raised funding this past month at $1 billion or more.
Crunchbase Pro queries listed for this article
All Crunchbase Pro queries are dynamic, with results updating over time. They can be adapted by location and/or timeframe for analysis.
The curated Crunchbase Emerging Unicorn Board includes private companies with known valuations of $500 million or more but less than $1 billion, based on Crunchbase data. The list is updated whenever a new company reaches that valuation range or there is a change in valuation for a company already on the leaderboard. Companies that are subsequently valued at more than $1 billion will be removed from the board and promoted to The Crunchbase Unicorn Board. Companies that exit will also be removed from the Emerging Unicorn Board.
We’re working to make the Emerging Unicorn Board a comprehensive resource for you to gain deeper insights into the companies that are likely to be the next unicorns.
Note: Please reach out to our Senior Data Editor Gené Teare at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or feedback on The Crunchbase Emerging Unicorn Board, or if you spot any data that’s missing or inaccurate.
Illustration: Dom Guzman
If you know of a company that should be on this list, please reach out to email@example.com with the relevant funding round and valuation data. Once this data is verified by our analysts, we will add the company to the board. ↩
Stay up to date with recent funding rounds, acquisitions, and more with the Crunchbase Daily.